Monday, December 28, 2015

Changes in Nature Photography

On a recent hike I came across a frog sitting on a submerged log. I composed my first shot in a fairly straightforward manner: fill the frame with the subject, tack sharp focus, using the light to illuminate the entire frog. I took a few shots in the same manner, from different viewpoints. I liked this one best. The halo effect of the water around the head of the frog, and the horizontal line of the log leading to the head worked to make a good, straightforward nature shot.

I walked around checking out other angles, and noticed from one location the light bounced off the water, creating a shimmery, silvery, almost solid effect, with the exposed part of the frog's head the only part visible. I tried a few shots with different compositions from that location, and ended up with an interesting, and non-traditional, nature shot.

Nature photography, like all photography, evolves constantly. Once only professional photographers with the expensive cameras could get shots that a smart phone in the hands of almost everyone can get now. Take the time to really look for more creative ways to capture your subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment