Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Manatees and Reflections at Linda Pedersen Park



A cool, clear morning with plenty of early sun led us to a drive further north. The string of cooler mornings made us wonder if there were manatees in the shallower waters of Jenkins Creek. Several years ago we stopped at Linda Pedersen Park while birding, and discovered several manatees relaxing in the water in the swimming area. This Hernando County Park along with Jenkins Creek Park across the road create a wonderful nature outing, and destination for manatees seeking the warmer water they need this time of year.

At first the mist riding on top of the water and the unbelievable reflections of the shore in the water attracted my eye and camera. I waited some time for a manatee to surface among the reflections, picturing the resulting photograph in my mind. The manatees clearly thought differently.


As the light changed I realized I lost the shot I envisioned, so I walked back toward the parking lot on the boardwalk along the beach. The reflections here didn’t have the clear conciseness of my other location, but a lone manatee did surface for a breath of air so I got a shot, not what I pictured but interesting just the same.


Karl called me a bit further along, and there we could see several manatees lounging under the water. We both waited for them to get a little more active, and enjoyed the show. More photographs of that on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment