Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Alligator in the Lake




Living in Florida, and as a naturalist and photographer, I see a lot of alligators. I photograph a lot of alligators too. Visitors to the state, and even locals, always want to see an alligator when hiking or taking photographs with us.

One morning recently while walking near a lake I saw what appeared to be a small alligator. He floated half underwater, the eye, nose tip, and body above water mirrored perfectly in the still, glassy water except for one small part near the eye on which a piece of grass perched. I took several shots, varying the zoom.

I chose this one as the best. I love the reflection in the water, the small catch light in his eye from the sun, and the serenity of the scene, even though serenity is not the first thing that springs to mind when one hears the word “alligator”.

No comments:

Post a Comment