Thursday, January 5, 2017

Beautiful Female Eastern Bluebirds




On a recent hike I watched a flock of bluebirds around a tree, some in the tree, and others on the ground, frequently moving around to catch bugs. The dozen or so seemed evenly mixed between male and female. Then I saw one bird further up at the very top of the tree, against a beautiful blue sky.

I realized it was another bluebird, a female. The males all sported their bright blue feathers, while she appeared mostly tan. The colors often lead us to describe the brighter colored birds as beautiful, and the others as drab.

In a perfect morning light, against the blue sky, perched at the top of a branch, and watching me working with my binoculars and camera, she looked anything but drab to me.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment