Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Photographing Honey




Pick up a food magazine, or do a search on the internet, and chances are good some reference to raw local honey and its health benefits will appear. Researchers traced human use of honey back 8,000 years, and it played an important role in traditional medicines. It lives on in the natural medicine world, and slowly makes its way into modern medicine based on scientific research.

When I began experiencing seasonal allergies ten years ago, several people recommended I start taking a spoonful of raw, local honey daily throughout the year. Several claimed that their allergies completely disappeared with this regime. I began taking it occasionally, then regularly, and now try to get a spoonful daily. Anecdotally, I notice a lessening of my symptoms, but still require over the counter medication to get me comfortably through the 6 – 8 weeks of oak pollen. Karl, whose symptoms tend to be much less than mine, finds it really helps him.

Recently I wrote an article for a newsletter on some of our raw, local honey. Since we set up the studio for the shot of the honey to accompany the article, Karl and I continued to try different shots for our own use. Karl worked the camera, I did the food styling. After a number of compositions, we settled on this one. The two small bears full of honey, the larger bear more than half full (it had been ¼ full and didn’t produce the look we wanted at that level), and a honey pot I picked up in my travels.

We had fun since we haven’t done much still life studio work. Food photography is one of those areas of photography that is getting to the top of the To Do List.


Further science based information:

No comments:

Post a Comment