Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Cropping for a New Image



“Making” a photograph rather than “taking” a photograph started coming into vogue as a photography trend more than a year ago. As with most trends, it repackages something photographers do all the time and did from the time photography started. Before digital photography, photographers developing their film cropped, dodged and burned, and ‘made’ the finished print from a photograph negative they took. Digital photography gives everyone the ability to emulate those processes in their software.

A recent botany hike inspired me to start cropping closer on some of my flower photography. Botanically, that which we see as a flower may in fact be many smaller flowers crowded on one head.

Autumn wildflower season seemed the perfect time to start. I plan to start shooting some flowers specifically with cropping for a new image in mind, but to start I looked at what I took last week and chose one for experimentation.



I liked how my original shot of a flower head turned into a field of flowers upon close crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment