Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Into the Garden:Walk at Chapman Botanical Garden


One of the gardens at Chapman Botanical Garden



We visited Chapman Botanical Garden twice, both times in pouring rain. I walked around the entire garden, unable to do my favorite activity: sitting on the carefully placed garden benches to see the view the designer placed them to see. From the near constant rain, the benches remained soaking wet.

I walked back and forth between the small gardens in this compact but diverse garden, and kept returning to this scene. The path led under the trellis to an area with a garden along the right hand side. I loved the way the lines of the path curved into the garden, and felt that capturing that curved line in the photography would lead the viewer’s eye into the scene and enable them to see what I saw. I shot it several times, working each time to put the path starting in the lower right corner, and at the same time keep my horizon level. I felt I managed a good shot, and the small image on the back of the camera seemed to confirm it, but of course you don’t know for sure until it appears on the larger computer screen. The gray sky looks blown out, but it looks like the sky that day, uniform gray and rain. I debated on ‘photoshopping’ it, but decided that I preferred reality.

Unfortunately, most of my detail shots of this particular garden did not work. I covered my camera to protect it from the wet, but the rain still pushed me to shoot too fast, or perhaps I pushed myself. Not taking the proper time meant not getting the shots, a good lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment