Thursday, November 2, 2017

Birding Again




Since “they” canceled the citizen science birding project almost two years ago, we bird infrequently. We took part in that particular study for eight years; every two weeks whether rain, shine, cold, or heat. In between we read guidebooks and textbooks, took courses, listened to recordings of bird calls, and participated in other activities such as bird banding to increase our knowledge. Unfortunately, our enthusiasm waned with the cancellation, and the fact that several of our birding friends find the long hikes more difficult now as the years passed.

Recently I reviewed some older photography, taken nearly ten years ago as we built our portfolio. We set out twice on hikes with the intention of birding, and realized we missed it. While I doubt we will go back to the frequency we once enjoyed, I look forward to sharpening my skills once again.


One hike took place in a thick fog, and I took the shot of a Red shouldered hawk. Shortly afterwards we started out only to be sent back by a flooded trail. I did get a shot of an American Kestrel watching us from atop a snag.

No comments:

Post a Comment