Thursday, November 9, 2017

Photographing through a Microscope



During a recent plant workshop, I decided to try photographing using my Canon G16 through a standard microscope. I did try first with the SLR, with no luck at all. First, I brought the specimen into sharp focus under the microscope, and then positioned the lens of the G16 directly on one of the microscope eyepieces. It took some practice, but I did finally get some shots. As it was a plant workshop and not a photo workshop, I tried a few times and then went back to my botany mode and observed the spore casings of the ferns.

While not a great photograph, it turned out well enough that I located my home microscope, not used since a naturalist project in which I participated ended, and plan to set it up to see what effects it might produce. Yes, they do sell microscopes which attach to a SLR camera for micro photography. I am not ready for that step, and may never go there.

Photography changes constantly, especially with the newest technology. Experimentation with new techniques and effects may never make it into the work you show, but stretches the boundaries of your imagination and technical skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment