Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Introducing The Photo Paragraph



Following in the tradition of Brevity, which features very brief (750 words or less) non-fiction essays, and Flash Fiction, which includes all the very brief fiction forms, my focus has turned to a brief version of the Photo Essay, called the Photo Paragraph. The Photo Paragraph shows a complete action, thought or concept in three related or consecutive photographs.

For the last few years I considered the concepts of telling stories with photography. My curiosity prompted me to take several art courses in photography dealing with art history and early photojournalism rather than craft or technique, and to read extensively in the same areas. During this time I noticed an increase in photo essays, those stories told usually in a minimum of 5 and up to 20 photographs. They included setting the scene, closer views, detail shots, action shots, and concluding shots with brief captions and very little narration. Since my platform for publishing includes retail (one at a time) or the blog, I wanted a shorter form.

 My writing in recent years turned me in the direction of personal essays and short stories, which curiosity again drew me to very brief essay forms such as Brevity and Flash Fiction. It also renewed my interest in Haiku, from which I borrowed the concept of three.

I started looking at some of my work in photography as a story in threes. I shoot far more than three of course, and sometimes the direction in which I started veers off another way when I examine the resulting photographs. This first Photo Paragraph is a beginning. I will be posting others as they are created, and I expect the form to change and evolve as I move forward.

This is a first attempt: Heron grooming while hikers watch
Checking out the people staring

Deciding we were no threat and going back to what he was doing

Bit awkward, but it works

No comments:

Post a Comment