Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Using a Window as a Frame for a Photograph



If you plan to visit St. George Island State park for vacation, check first with me on our plans. In the past year we spent two weeks at the park, and both weeks saw some of the worst rain of the season for the area. Rain drove all the vacationing families from their hotel rooms, camping accommodation, or condos into Apalachicola to escape the driving rain. We all ran from overhang to overhang trying to keep somewhat dry.

Orman House, a beautiful antebellum home on the river and now a state park escaped most radar screens. Karl and I enjoyed a wonderful personal guided tour by the ranger on duty. We spent some time in the house, and in between raindrops looking at the gardens around the house and the Chapman Garden next door.

While touring the house I noticed a garden just outside a window. The old-fashioned water pump kept my attention, and I pulled out my camera. I did several shots from inside the home, then outside of the small garden itself. I intended the shot through the window as the introductory or establishing shot, and then moved outside for a more detailed look. I found that the PVC pipes for the watering system appeared in every shot regardless of where I moved. I finally came in closer so only one appeared in the shot, and that turned out the best. The overcast sky really brought out the greens, and the water pump anchored the right side and provided the focus for the shot.



I hoped to get a few detail shots of the pump and some of the garden plants, but another cloudburst sent me running to the car, camera covered to protect it from the rain. Overcast skies and rainy days really make colors pop and the green distinctive, but pouring rain can put a damper on things (sorry about that pun!).

No comments:

Post a Comment